Hillside Church of Marin - Family Ministries Pastor
Family Ministry Pastor
This is an amazing opportunity for a visionary leader of Family ministries that is passionate about reaching families within a community that has the challenges of being in a highly secular context. Hillside Church is located in Marin County and has two campuses that are strategically in a great place to reach families with the hope of Christ within their community.
Hillside Church of Marin is a great church with two campuses located in Marin County, which is just across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco. Over the past few years God has been leading Hillside to find better ways to love, serve, and reach the different communities in Marin County. In the response to the challenge of reaching one of the most un-churched areas in the country, Hillside has worked to contextualize different models of ministry over the years. The latest example of this came in 2018 when God opened the door for Hillside to adopt a struggling sister congregation in San Rafael. In 2019 Hillside launched a renewed and revitalized ministry in that location and began operating as a multi-site church. The dream of Hillside Church of Marin is to see Marin County cease to be one of the “least churched places in America,” by renewing historic centers of worship spread throughout the communities with Marin County.
The Pastor of Family Ministry will provide oversight and leadership to Family Ministry at both Hillside locations. Hillside Church is located in Marin County where the culture has a strong push against families and kids to be growing in their faith. The leader of this area will need to create a “new” and innovative way to attract and equip families on how to grow spiritually. This will require a leader who is relational and has energy to reach the unchurched and get them connected to the church family.
The focus of this position is the development of ministry to children (birth – 5th) but also includes partnership with the Director of Student Ministries. This role will oversee the volunteers that serve in the HillsideKids classes on the weekends and in any of the other children’s programming. This role will partner with the directors of the church’s two preschools in developing outreach and engagement.
- Study and understand the spiritual and developmental needs of children within the church and the greater community it serves.
- Study and understand the spiritual and developmental needs of children within the church and the greater community the church serves.
- Oversee all ministry activities, strategies, goals, and environments for children (ages birth - 5th grade), including Sunday mornings and special events (outreach, service opportunities, Halloween Family fun night).
- Be the recruiter and developer of people to serve in Kids Ministry.
- Build up leaders within Kids Ministry who are not simply given tasks, but are given authority.
- Pastor, coach, and care for those involved in ministry teams.
- Model a missional lifestyle, being involved in the community, seeking out relationships with those who do not know Christ.
- Choose and lead the preparation of age-appropriate curriculum for each age level.
- Partner with parents and equip them on how to disciple their children.
- Partner with Director of Student Ministries to lead kids through all stages of development and discipleship.
- Provide pastoral care to children and families in the church, including hospital visits, follow-up, and counseling.
- Manage smooth check-in procedures on Sundays and track weekly children's ministry attendance.
- Assist with the pastoral needs of the entire congregation (care, equipping, leadership, preaching).
- Able to occassionally preach within a weekend service.
- Develop and maintain a yearly budget.
- Network with other children's pastors (in our community and nationally).
- Oversees Director of Student Ministries
Characteristics, Strengths, Skill Sets:
- A growing, vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ.
- An identifiable calling to vocational ministry.
- An attitude of being faithful, available, and teachable.
- A passion for children being discipled and growing in their love for God and people.
- Alignment with Hillside's core beliefs and mission.
- Ability to motivate, train, encourage, and challenge leaders.
- Excellent organizational, clerical, and communication skills (written and interpersonal).
- Genuine interest in responding to the hopes, needs, and concerns of children in the congregation and community.
- Conducts life with the utmost integrity in all situations.
- Able to keep calm under pressure and respond in a measured way in stressful situations.
- Self-starter and trustworthy with a commitment to personal growth in the knowledge and grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Must lead with the whole church in mind, not a lone ranger.
- High degree of relational wisdom.
- Proven organizational and administrative skills.
- Follow-up skills.
- Good team member as they will work on a staff team.
- Experienced in leading change.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university. Master's Degree preferred.
- Prefer 2+ years experience in a church setting leading in an area within Children's Ministries.